Friday, August 23, 2013

How Fantasy Football had Ruined my Life...

Okay ladies...you know this title caught your attention. 

If you have a straight, over twenty, sports obsessed man in your life, chances are you are feeling my pain as this football season is nearing its start.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE watching football, and I can appreciate the ferocity of sports as much as any guy, BUT I draw the line at this dreaded invention called fantasy football. 

Let's begin with the name of the game. FANTASY. FOOTBALL.
Key word being...fantasy. It. Is. Not. Real. 
The way my husband talks about his leagues, you would think that: 
A. he plays for the NFL himself 
B. he has somehow transformed into Bill Belichick and actually coaches the Patriots 
C. Life will no longer go on if his team loses that week 
D. He literally has actual control over the actions of the players on his teams

Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if he was only in one league. But no. One is not enough. He needs to be in THREE leagues (contemplating 4). Really!? Is that necessary?  I feel like that's more complicated than trying to keep track of 120 of my students and their varying abilities, test scores, and exceptionalities.

As my husband got ready for his first draft this evening, he was more nervous and stressed out than he was the day of our wedding! I think it's hilarious that a large group of men get together, chat about their picks, have drinks, and eat finger foods. They may call it a draft party, but I call it a cocktail party.

As much as I dread spending my Sundays with Brett glued to his TV, phone, and computer, there are a few positives that come out of this time of year:

1. It truly makes my husband happy, and for that reason alone, I can live with all of this absurdity. 

2. It gives me an opportunity to have girls nights, read an entire book in one sitting, or have some "me" time.

3. If he succeeds, I get to spend some of his winnings on shoes and clothes as my "I tolerated these many weeks of fantasy football conversations" consolation prize. 

What happened to the days where we could just enjoy football? Why did we have to introduce competition amongst spectators into the game? As if men needed one other reason to compete with one another. 

Well...as we head into another season, I wish all of the men luck. I hope they make the right picks, they choose to play the right guys, and their team wins. But more importantly, I wish the women luck as we deal with everything that comes along when those things DON'T HAPPEN. 

Are you ready for some football?

3 comments:

  1. Another GREAT post form YOU, Mari!!!! I love reading what is on your mind! What an incredible writer you are!! XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha this is hysterical, I completely agree with you...totally absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ROCKED my fantasy draft with my laptop, a badass lineup and a mimosa in my hand!

    ReplyDelete