Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Thank You...


They are the ones who smile at you when you walk through the door after a particularly difficult morning.  Somehow, they always know when you are having a bad day, and they offer that wide and sincere smile just when you need it the most.  They are the ones that can sense when you don’t understand something, and rather than get frustrated at you, they sit down, touch your shoulder and say, “It’s alright.  We’ll figure this out together.  You’ve got this.”  They are the ones that refuse to give up on you when you have shut everyone out, they are the ones that bring you a jacket when you don’t have one, or bring you lunch everyday when you are hungry.  They are the ones that give you a band aid when you fall and scrape your knee, the ones that make the whole class sing “Happy Birthday” on your special day, and the ones that bring you a tissue to dry your tears when you feel like giving up, and then they are the ones that sit and listen, no matter how long it takes.   They are the ones who give you a hug when you don’t have anyone to hug you at home.  They are the ones that make you love reading and math again, and the ones that find ways to bring out your creativity and break through your shell.  They are the ones that come to your high school graduation eight years after they taught you, and the ones that come to your school play because it means that much to you.  They are the ones that make you laugh, they make you want to be a better person, they make you learn things you never thought possible, and they make you realize the person you can truly be. 

They are much more than just someone who teaches…

This week is Teacher Appreciation Week.  It’s a time to truly sit down and think about the teachers that have made an impact on your life.  This week isn’t about free meals, or presents, or gift cards.  It’s about taking a moment to reflect on how educators impact this world every day. 

Where would any of us be without teachers?  This is a simple question, guys.  But REALLY think about it.  Doctors, lawyers, NFL players, nurses, TV Anchors, electricians, actors, hair stylists, etc.  No matter what you do for a living, you got there because of your teachers. 
As a nation, we severely depreciate teachers.  I’m not talking about our paychecks, either.  Our title is taken for granted by both teachers, and non-teachers alike.  Being a teacher is a blessing, a gift, and an honor.  It’s time we start looking at the profession in a more positive light, and give credit where credit is due.  Many times, the spotlight is given to the teachers that make bad choices, and we completely ignore the teachers that make daily sacrifices, and dedicate themselves to educating and touching the lives of every student that walks through their doors. 

We need to celebrate teachers every day, and not just during Teacher Appreciation Week.
There have been many teachers, both academically and professionally that have impacted my life for the better.  They have each claimed a small piece of my heart, and have helped shape me into the educator that I am today.  This post is dedicated to them…

Mrs. Chrissy Matthews

Mrs. Matthews is the reason that I became a language arts teacher.  I had always been a strong bibliophile, but when I entered language arts in 7th grade, I re-discovered my love for reading and writing.  Mrs. Matthews found a way to highlight our individual strengths, and she brought our books to life.  We read A Wrinkle in Time, and learned about Greek Mythology.  These are two units that I now do with my own students.  I will never forget how my mom and I spent countless hours creating a 3D replica of the Greek goddess, Artemis, and Mrs. Matthew kept that replica in her classroom for years to come.  My true love for books and the written word began in that classroom at Tarpon Springs Middle School. 

Mrs. Wolfe

In 5th grade, I had the most insane, crazy, loud teacher, and I absolutely loved every single second that I spend in her classroom.  We used to have a military-style system to monitor behavior, and we all had ranks that we had to move up in, and we had to walk through the halls marching, and shouting cadences.  This system was the basis for my own Writing Boot Camp that I created my second year teaching.  I also remember singing “Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee” with Mrs. Wolfe on the bus when we went to Sea World for a field trip.

One of the distinguishing traits of a remarkable teacher is the ability to leave an imprint on the lives of your students no matter how many years pass. 

I will never forget the day that our class had to choose our roles for the highly anticipated trip to Enterprise Village.  We each were chosen for a “real life profession,” and we were expected to hold that job in a simulated town for one day.  The most coveted position was that of the town Mayor, and all of the popular kids in the class applied for this position.  I was much more reserved, and more of an introvert at that time in my life, and I discreetly applied, even though I was sure I wouldn’t get chosen.   Imagine my surprise when Mrs. Wolfe announced that I, Mari Barrera, would be the Mayor on our class trip to Enterprise Village.  I will never forget that feeling, and I will always cherish this memory I have of an amazing teacher making me feel like I was the most important person on the planet…even if it was only for one day.

Mrs. Jeannie Dunning

On my very first day as a teacher, I was 22 years old, and I had never ever set foot in a classroom as an educator.  Needless to say, I was terrified.  I will always hold a place in my heart for Jeannie, because as a veteran language arts teacher, she helped me through that incredibly difficult first year.  She had patience when I called her throughout the day for help creating a lesson, she gave me resources from her own personal collections of teacher books and binders, and she let me sit in the back of her classroom many days while I took notes on legal pads.  I believe that every new teacher needs a strong support system to guide them, model lessons for them, and just be an ear when they need a moment to vent.  Jeannie was part of my support system that year, and I honestly don’t know what I would have done without her. 

Mrs. Carolyn Erickson

The girl with the blue.  Carolyn is one of those teachers that makes an impact on not only her students, but her colleagues as well.  When I am thirsty for creativity, Carolyn is the person I turn to.  I have never seen a teacher create so many amazing, engaging lessons for her students, and who would literally give the shirt on her back to help someone in need.  Carolyn has impacted me as an educator in more ways that I can count, and our school literally would not survive without her.  She is our cheerleader, and never ceases to amaze me.  Whether it’s pioneering the Infinity Academy so that some of our students can have a blended learning environment, coming up with the money out of her own pocket for a student’s family to keep their electricity on, or developing the most creative and interesting assignments for her students to lose themselves in, Carolyn has dedicated 110% of herself to her kids, and I admire her more that she’ll ever know.
 
Mrs. Lorena Judkins

One of the best parts of being a teacher is having friends to go on the crazy journey with you.  I met Lorena at our new teacher breakfast, and realized very quickly that she was not only a brand new teacher like me, but also someone who wasn’t afraid to speak their mind.  I also realized that she was on my team, and would be teaching alongside me.  That first year, we went through it all…together.  We learned how to control our emotions and tempers, how to deal with parents, and how to keep ourselves positive every single day, even when we really wanted to scream at the top of our lungs.  She became a life-long friend, and I know many students whose lives she made a enormous impact on.  She’s one of those teachers that you never forget, and one of those teachers that truly make a difference. 

Mrs. Beth Long

The teacher in my life that has made the biggest impression on who I am as an educator is the teacher who’s been in the classroom right next to mine for eight years.  Beth was the only veteran teacher on my team that very first year, and she was my rock.  I have been privileged to watch her turn her classroom into an animal cell, bring amazing science camps onto our campus during the summer to give her students experiences like dissecting sharks, and even dress up like 80’s rocker chicks and the cast of Wizard of Oz with me.  When I was in tears because I thought I couldn’t take it anymore, Beth helped pick me back up.  When I had an observation the next day, she helped me tweak my lesson plan.  She was named our school’s Teacher of the Year this year, and she couldn’t have been more deserving.  Our kids would be lost without her, and I know I would be as well.

The number of teachers that have walked into and out of my life are too high to count, and I wish I had the time to thank each of them individually.  To each person that I have worked with over the past eight years, you are inspirations to me, and I am so blessed to have had they chance to work beside you.  Your impact will never be taken for granted, and I hope you know that you are loved, appreciated, and admired.

Please take some time this week to thank a teacher that has had a part in shaping the person you are today.  This is not an easy profession.  Anyone that would say that has no idea what it’s like in a real classroom.  I get so angry when I hear the phrases, “those who can’t, teach,” or “anyone can be a teacher.”

Anyone most certainly CAN NOT be a teacher.

It takes a dedicated, hard working, big-hearted, patient, tenacious, non-squemish, loving, and gritty person to be a teacher. 

Thank you to every single educator, past and present.  Thank you for being a role model for our children.  Thank you for being persistent in your quest to instill knowledge into their minds whether they accept it or not.  Thank you for CHOOSING to be a part of the education world, and for sticking with it day after day.
 
It IS worth it, you ARE making a difference, and YOU are appreciated. 

“A good teacher is like a candle.  It consumes itself to light the way for others.” – Mustafa Kemal Ataturk 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful tribute. You are such a gifted writer! Thank you for finding your voice! Thank you for what you do for the education profession! Thank you for what you do for our children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Mrs. Mathews at Tarpon Middle too! Loved her. I am also an English teacher in Pasco.

    ReplyDelete