Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Let the 90 Day Body Composition Challenge BEGIN!

I am officially on Day 3 of my 90 Day Body Composition Challenge.  My gym, Tampa Bay Athletics, started this challenge to help its members become leaner, meaner, and stronger!

The cool thing about this challenge is that the emphasis is NOT on your weight.  The number on the scale doesn't matter as much as your body fat percentage, and inches lost.  This is hands down one of the hardest things for me to process because I've paid attention to that number on the scale my whole life.  I've really been trying this past year to focus on how my clothes fit,  and how I feel overall, rather than how much I weigh.  

Basically, we are eating clean and working out for 90 days.  We can have one cheat meal a week, but  I may make mine a cheat day depending on the week ;) Pretty simple! This is not a diet, this is not a fad, and this isn't something we start then go back to our old ways after 90 days.  This is designed to literally make a lifestyle change.  EAT CLEAN...TRAIN DIRTY!

Here are my observations so far...

1.  It takes A LOT of food prep to eat clean, and this is one of the things I am struggling with.  I am a busy girl, and it's hard to find the time in my day.  I have realized that prepping food at the beginning of the week is ESSENTIAL! It saves time, and it prevents you from being tempted by quick, processed food.  If it's already made, you are much less likely to grab something quick and unhealthy because you are too tired to cook.  Boil a dozen eggs on Sunday night, and then you have breakfast ready to grab from the fridge every morning that week!  I actually am starting to enjoy my food prep! The hubby and I get to spend some quality time together, and we love to cook! FAILING TO PLAN IS PLANNING TO FAIL!


Here are some sauteed veggies and chicken all ready to go for lunch for a few days :)



2.  It's not as cost heavy as I thought.  One of the biggest misconceptions of eating clean is that it's horribly expensive.  It's not that bad if you take the time to go to the right places, and look for the right foods and best deals.  Go to your local farmer's markets and produce stands for fresh, organic fruits and veggies! All major supermarkets sell organic, grass-fed meats and eggs, and there is almost always something on sale!  One trick I use to help cut cost is to make dinners for 4 even though it's just my husband and me.  Then, I eat the leftovers for lunch the next day! 

3.  PROTEIN! PROTEIN! PROTEIN! I realized that I wasn't getting anywhere near as much protein as I should every day.  I try to stay away from sugar in the morning, protein all day, lots of green veggies, and carbs post-workout.  I usually eat 4-5 smaller meals or snacks a day.  I eat lunch super early at work, so I try to pack a snack like a couple pieces of turkey and almonds, or celery and natural peanut butter, for later in the day.  I do heavy workouts 4-5 days a week, so my body NEEDS protein to fuel itself, and help burn that fat!! 

We slow cooked London Broil with some pepperoncinis for spice, made our own "ranch packet" for flavor, and paired it with steamed smashed cauliflower with sea salt and pepper! YUM-O


4.  I upped my water intake from my usual 48oz. a day to 80-96oz. a day.  I can already feel a difference from drinking more water.  I can't stress enough how important it is to hydrate! The only downside is that I have to pee every 30 minutes. LOL! I know my teacher friends will relate to how difficult this problem is when you have 120 kids to supervise all day. :)

5.  I have A LOT more energy, and it's only been 3 days! I feel that I am not as tired, and I can push myself harder during my workouts. 

6.  Eating clean DOES NOT mean that you have to sacrifice taste!! I spend time looking online, and talking to my friends to find scrumptious recipes that I can try out.  I take my favorite comfort foods and find healthy alternatives.  Coming from a "sauce girl," veggies and meat really can be yummy without loading them up with fatty sauces! Sauces were hard for me to give up, but I have realized that I can mix a little greek yogurt with a little hot sauce or spices if I HAVE to put sauce on something :)

7.  Support from friends is HUGE! There is a giant group of us at the gym doing this challenge, and it makes it so much easier when you have other people to talk to, get recipes from, share progress, and ENCOURAGE! We have a Facebook page (you can search "90 Day Body Composition Challenge") where we share our journey with each other, and that's one of the best perks of this whole process.  Find an accountabillabuddy, and help each other get lean and strong!

Needless to say, it's only week one, and I have a looooooong road ahead of me.  I'm sure that I will give in to a delicious Oreo here and there, or a glass of red wine after work, and that's OKAY!  Bottom line is...I know I have the mental focus needed to keep going.  

I will continue to post updates on my progress, awesome recipes I try, advice and stories from my friends who are also completing this challenge.  One of our goals is to inspire others to head down the road of clean eating and exercise.  

I have had a great first week, but booooooyyyy am I looking forward to that cheat day this weekend! HAHA! I think it will be chicken wings... or maybe a juicy burger with fries...or maybe... ;)

HAPPY HUMP DAY EVERYONE! :)


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes meal planning is such a hassle the day of, but I love how much time it saves once I am all done. Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete