Sunday, September 8, 2013

Read. This. Book.

There is no doubt that I am a reader. I can't function if I'm not reading a book for at least a few minutes every day. Every now and then I read a book that literally affects me in a physical sense, and makes me want to change the world. 

Wonder by R.J. Palacio is one of those books.

I started this book last night because it's one of my kid's SSYR books this year, and I like to read what they read. I had NO idea that I would be affected this much. I laughed out loud several times, and I cried from both sadness but mostly happiness. And inspiration. This book smacked me in the face like a neon sign that says, DO SOMETHING!

It's about a little pistol of a human being, August "Auggie" Pullman. He's in fifth grade, and he has facial deformities. I literally want to be this kid when I grow up. This book is all about his journey through the fifth grade, and it doesn't matter if you are ten, sixteen, twenty-five, or seventy-five. This books teaches awareness, humility, love of the greatest kind, friendship, diversity, and strength. 

I NEED to do something with this book. I plan on incorporating it into my own classroom and I plan on speaking to my principal because I have some big ideas for my school too. I will update the blog as I try to make these ideas happen. 

It gives new meaning to the word "ordinary" and the author did something so brilliant with her writing that I didn't even know she was doing until halfway through the book.  She taught a very valuable lesson about tolerance without ever having to say it out loud. It was so subtle I almost missed it. If you read it, you'll know what I mean. 

This needs to be read by everyone. Period. Go right now and borrow from your library, download it on your e-reader this second, or drive to the store ASAP and grab a copy.

But make sure to clear your schedule! You will not be able to put it down. Don't say I didn't warn you :)

Happy reading! 

1 comment:

  1. Mari - after reading this post I downloaded this book to my iPad and just finished reading it. What an AWESOME book! Thanks so much for recommending it....I will definitely be passing along the recommendation to others!

    ReplyDelete