Thursday, September 12, 2013

These are a few of my favorite things...

I wanted to take a minute to share some of my favorite things about my classroom! Over the years, I have spent countless dollars and precious time on decorating, and arranging my room. I honestly feel that having a colorful, welcoming space for your students to learn is an essential part of the education process.  Here are just a few of my favorite things...

            My iRead Bulletin Board

 
I am a GIANT book nerd, and I love to read what my kids read. Every month, I read four books that I recommend to my students. I put up a description and photo of the cover to entice my kiddos to read them. If they read the books, then write a review, I give them extra credit :) This had sparked some pretty awesome book conversations with some of my kids. They love to know their teachers like the same books as them! 

                    Orange and Blue!


One of the best things a middle school teacher can do for their students is show their pride in their college! Especially since I teach at a Title I school, many of my students don't have the drive or motivation to think about college in their future. Many of them would be the first graduate in their families. I love bragging about my Gators in general, but I'm not afraid to show my pride and encourage my students to have college has a long term goal...except if it's Florida State ;) 

                Organize your Butt Off!


I am ÜBER particular about keeping things organized in my classroom! Although, my husband and mother would beg to differ when it comes to my home organization skills.  I have a bookshelf that is the "kid station" and everything has its place.  They are taught procedures for using everything, and this way I'm not bombarded with questions like "Can I have a tissue?" It also saves my own markers and glue and scissors from going missing. 

                     My Reading Nook


I love, love, love my reading nook! Again...being a book nerd, I wanted a space where my students could just hang out, relax, and read a book! (When their work is finished of course!) I got a cheap rug from Wal-Mart, and made the no-sew pillows myself from fabric and stuffing! 

                      Absent Policy


One of the biggest reasons why students have low grades is because they don't do missing work when they are absent. This is a system I started this year. The students check the binder for what they missed, then they check the crate for any handouts or homework assignments. So far so good, but I'll update on how well I actually maintain the system later in the year.

             Can we say Common Core?


It took me FOREVER to come up with an efficient, organized way to show my Unit Learning Map on the board!! It includes the Unit Goal, the lesson goals connected to the text we're reading, and the leaning scale for each lesson. I only include the target goal level (3) on the board, but the student map in their notebooks has the whole scale (4-1). I refer to it multiple times a class period!

I am always looking for fun, new ideas to share about classroom organization and decoration, so I plan on featuring a different classroom from my school each month! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo Mari - for inspiring your students to read AND reach for a goal of higher education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Mari. You definitely have it together when it comes to your students and your classroom. Thar's what makes you such a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete